ACTIVITY - NOTIFICATIONS
- Go into Notifications and set preferences for your email account.
ACTIVITY - ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Create a course announcement and enable or disable comments based on your preference.
- Go into Student View and preview your Announcement.
- Please note that for students to see an announcement two things must happen:
- The Canvas term start date has begun (typically one week before the official start of the term)
- The Teacher has published the course.
ACTIVITY - MESSAGES
- Send a message to All (students and teachers) in your course announcing that the course is published. Messages will only be delivered when the course is published AND students are enrolled in the course.
- ATTENTION! Once a course contains a graded submission, you can no longer unpublish your course
ACTIVITY - CALENDAR
- Add an event in your course
- Add an assignment, and then change the assignment’s date through drag-and-drop
ACTIVITY - COURSE NAVIGATION
- Hide Files, Chat, Conferences, and Collaborations in Course Navigation
- Rearrange items so Modules is towards the top
- Add files to your course files folder
- Go into Student View to see the course navigation. Student View can be used in an unpublished course but it will only view items within the course that are published and meet date criteria.
ACTIVITY - SYLLABUS
- Add a brief description to your course syllabus
- Create a link to your course syllabus file
- You will have the opportunity to add images, links, and videos later
ACTIVITY - ASSIGNMENT GROUPS
- Click the Assignments master settings and choose Weight final grade
- Create two other Assignment groups (Quizzes and Presentations). Make sure that the % add to 100. Avoiding fractions makes it easier for your students and you.
ACTIVITY - SUBMITTING AND GRADING AN ASSIGNMENT
Session 1 - Instructor
- Create a new Assignment at 100 points with Submission type Online with Option File Uploads
- Set an available range and Due date
- Save and Publish the Assignment
Session 2 - Student
- Go into Student View and locate your assignment
- Submit an Assignment by uploading a Word document from USB drive or U drive.
- Leave Student View and again access your Assignment
Session 3 - Instructor
- Open SpeedGrader and enter a grade, write Assignment comments in the left sidebar, and use the Crocodoc Comment tool to annotate the document.
- Click Submit Comment.
Session 4 - Student
- Check your graded assignment and reply to your “instructor"
ACTIVITY - MODULES
- Create a module based on a topic or chronology (e.g. first week)
- Create a second module named Videos
- From your first module choose Add Item to:
- Add a PowerPoint presentation from your Course Files.
- Add an external URL using cdc.gov - load in new tab
- Add an external URL using - embed in Canvas
- Add a YouTube video as an external URL
- Go to the Videos module and add the same video.
ACTIVITY - PAGES
- In your first module choose add a new page
- Edit the page and add these components prefacing each component with a brief introduction
- Insert a YouTube video URL
- Embed an image
- Link to a URL such as cdc.gov
- Link to a file in your course files
- Link to an existing assignment
- Save and Publish your page then preview it as a student to test the links.
ACTIVITY - LIBRARY VIDEOS
- Use libguides.elmira.edu > Databases > Films on Demand to find the title of a video that you want to embed
- Add a new page, title it, and embed a Films on Demand video
- Add the page to your first module
ACTIVITY - DISCUSSIONS
- Create a graded, threaded Discussion, give it a name, and add your instructions on how students are to participate
- Go into Student View and contribute the discussion.
- Leave Student View and reply to the student’s contribution.
- Grade the student’s participation in the discussion.